This is a moderate paced, scenic drive incorporating scenic, twisty mountain highways and includes short hikes to a few of the scenic waterfalls near Bryson City. From Fontana Village we’ll head first to Cherokee and then to Bryson City.
- Our first stop will be Mingo Falls on the Cherokee Indian Reservation
- We’ll drive to Bryson City for lunch at Nick & Nate’s Pizza
- After lunch we’ll drive to the Deep Creek Trailhead in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- If time permits, we’ll hike to three waterfalls – Juney Wank, Tom Branch, and Indian Creek Falls
- We’ll return to Bryson City and make a stop at the Nantahala Brewing Company
- Afterward we’ll return to Fontana Village.
This drive is approximately 103 miles, with 2-1/2 hours of driving time. The total duration is planned for approximately 6 hours, including stops and departs on Friday morning. Wear comfortable walking shoes for an approximately 1-1/2 mile hike.
Pace: Scenic to Moderate